Welcome!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

An experiment

It is 11:30.. the house is quiet, except for the hum of the house fan and the snoring of the dog. Today, I was TIRED! I took a nap. I felt guilty, but I could not keep my eyes open! I was trying to work on Ella's journal, but alas, I laid my head down on the couch and it was over. I feel like I yelled a lot today. At the kids, at the dog... at myself (in my head of course.. I have not crossed over to THAT kind of crazy, yet.)

Andy and Gavin went to the dentist, dinner and piano together, leaving me and Ella on our own. She didn't like that. She doesn't like, me. She likes her Dad best... ask her, she'll tell you! She told me not to talk to her. Finally, she let me sit next to her at dinner. She says I'm mean. It is really HARD not to take this personally... c'mon... this is my baby girl! Is this what the next 18 years are going to be like? (don't anyone DARE answer that!)

My house, is the experiment... how dirty can it REALLY get!? It is gross! I don't like it. Other people have been here, and tell me that it is really not that bad. Other people's houses must be REALLY dirty, either that or my friends need glasses! Everywhere I look I see dust, fingerprints, dirt, spills and general yuckiness. (not to mention the clutter...and toys, etc.) I had a break down today. I was standing at the kitchen table cutting coupons and realized that my shoes were stuck to the floor. Literally. So... I started cleaning. I felt like "If you give a mouse a cookie". If you give the mom a wash rag.... I couldn't just do the floor... the whole kitchen needed cleaning, and the cupboard doors, and the coffee maker, and the blinds, and the table legs... on and on... I finished about an hour ago. It is truly amazing what removing a layer of grime from a room can do for it. I am glad that it is done, but it is making the rest of the house look worse! Am I the only one that is this overwhelmed!? (rhetorical question) What does one do about the constant work? I feel as if I am not doing ANY of my jobs very well... the house, the kids, the office (don't even mention my relationship). Maybe I am just hormonal....

I'm going to finish one more job on my list and then fall deeply and soundly asleep! Ready for another day!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think I felt as you are describing about every day last week. Everyone got under my skin and I didn't clean anything...except laundry which had to get done. So, you are not alone. Samuel whines and fusses over everything, baby stuff is constant, and Noah was a pain because he kept wanting to play video games and wouldn't listen when it was time to turn them off. I think we had 3 fights last week about how he didn't practice piano with a good attitude, so he couldn't play any video games. And, we were going over to his cousins house daily for swim and he was ticked off because he wanted to play game cube and he wasn't allowed. He's doing much, MUCH better about piano this week. I told him he can't destroy his brain until we have put something good into it first!
I have been cleaning this week though because it's gross to me too after a couple weeks of no cleaning. I need to mop my tile today in fact! Yes, we are cleaner than most...you are right. Others don't realize the filth, so they just have dirty houses. I know that's blunt and some would say I'm a snob, but it's true. Most people just have filthy homes. It's gross!

Micaela said...

Hey...I was laughing out loud as I read your blog, and it made me glad that you're writing one. I think you expressed just about what every mother feels and experiences. It's hard trying to do more than one thing that's important and feel like you do it really well. I've had Isaiah for a month and a half, started a new job 3 weeks ago, and still need to do a good and thorough house cleaning. And I can't figure out if I'm doing any of it well. Well, I know I'm not with the house...not only do I have a 4 year old boy, but add 2 dogs, 2 cats and 6 fish and I might as well just forget about it. And the yard...I don't know that I have ever really gotten started. Thank goodness it gets mowed at least fairly regularly so my neighbors don't hate me. Anyway, this is your blog, not mine, so I won't write more, but I'm really enjoying reading yours so I hope you'll be able to keep doing it. Just don't make it another chore for yourself. :)

Gina said...

Kids and housework just go hand in hand. Seems like the more kids I have, the less frequently the housework gets done, at least for now. As the kids get older, I expect to be able to utilize child labor more. Already Jozsef makes his own bed and sets up breakfast for himself and Nikolas. Both the boys brush their own teeth and Jozsef does his own bath. Nikolas loves to dust (bless his heart!) and both boys help with laundry. When we had the dogs they were in charge of feeding them. See, it's all good. Everything is a season. Right now, I'm in slower house cleaning season. It'll pick back up again. Until then, I do laundry constantly--HAVE to have clean clothes to wear, the kitchen is cleaned as we use it and really cleaned now and then. The bathrooms are probably the most cleaned--or maybe they show most use and therefore call out to be cleaned more and get cleaned because of it. Actually, come to think of it, I clean regularly, but just one task at a time, day by day. Gone are the days of cleaning the whole house in one feel swoop. That has to wait for the baby to get older. Kylee was almost 2 1/2 b/f I could do that. :-)