Welcome!

Thursday, July 26, 2007

A day off?

A day off, used to mean... Sleeping in, lying in the sun, reading a book, getting together with some friends, having a beer (or a pina colada). A day off meant relaxation, or play time! A day off seems to have a whole new meaning now that I am a Mom and a Homemaker. Today, I have the "day off". I got up and got the kids dressed (o.k., Gavin dressed himself) and sent them off with Dad. Next, I went to the Gym and then stopped by Michael's for some items for the bathroom project. That was nice because there wasn't anyone in the store and it was VERY quiet. I came home and showered, a good shower... where you really take time to scrub your head and your elbows and your knees. (vs. they kind where you kind of "run" through the water and hope that you got the worst of the dirt off!) I lotioned and tweezed and brushed and took time to take care of ME! I read emails, I am blogging. I am procrastinating the job that I need to get done. On my day off, I am going to sort through the mountain of paperwork that I have been stuffing into the cupboard and I am going to update my checkbook on the computer. I may even reconcile my checking account!

Andy gets off work at 12:30 today, and after we have lunch not out, just sandwiches at home) we are going to Lowe's to get more supplies to finsih the bathroom. We will (finally) hang that cabinet and I will sweep and mop the bathroom floor and finish putting all of the stuff back where it belongs in there! I will run to the grocery store and stop by the pharmacy. I will make some phone calls and ponder the thought of throwing our "End of the Summer" party. I will plan for our Friday Family Film Festival and I will finally put away the last of the laundry from Monday.

The kids will be home at 4:00 and then I will make dinner and we will hang out together for bath, stories and bed time. I will plop onto the couch exhausted at the end of it all, and wonder, how could I ever get all of this done, without a "day off"?

4 comments:

Gina said...

Days off these days don't touch the days off of yester year, that's for sure! Seems that as we pile on the responsiblities more of our "free" time isn't so free and what we deem as acceptable for that time and even what is desireable changes significantly. Most times now, I'm more satisfied accomplishing something versus vegging all day--does that come with age? Well, maybe for some of us. :-0

Micaela said...

Yvonne---I love you and your blog! It's great!

Yvonne said...

Gina, you veg!!?? Maybe that is my problem, serious lack of veg time! I didn't get most of that stuff done, but I did get a great deal of it, and I feel better! Today, I have 1/2 of the day off..so far, I have made lunch and took a 1/2 hour nap! Gotta do a little work before the gym!

Gina said...

Yeah, I veg...now and then. It's much easier to do with a newborn, nursing is great for that you know. :-) It goes in waves really. I'll spend no time veggin' and then things will change in the family (like having a new baby) and I'll spend more off time than not. Mostly it's a force of circumstance, in general, I'm still happier if I'm accomplishing, even if it's something little. But, I've realized I have to give myself license to lax a little, esp. under certain circumstances, in order to me to keep my health and sanity straight. :-)