Welcome!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Student, Again...

I am officially a student at Whittier College, again. I did find out, a few weeks ago, that I did not get a position with Broadoaks as a Graduate Fellow. That was a big disappointment, but has it's silver lining too. It would have been great experience, but I would have been working full time next school year and making slightly less money than I make now, working part time.

Yesterday, I had my interview at the college for the Teaching Credential and Masters program. It went great, and I have been accepted. I don't know that there was any real concern that I wouldn't be, but I now have, an official letter saying that it is so.

I have completed all of my financial aid paperwork and am working on filing out grant applications. I will start classes on June 24 and for six full weeks, I will have class from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Monday, through Thursday with Fridays "off". I plan to spend 9-4 in the library, studying my brains out.

I don't know how I will fit work into this schedule, but I have to bring in some money. Andy did get a summer school position, but it is half day and 4 weeks. This puts us at shortage to start with. We have saved throughout the year to cover August...we do this every year. We were really hoping to re-do our kitchen floors with the money coming from the government and our tax return, but have realized that it would be much smarter to set that money aside to cover the shortage that summer is going to cause. In addition to being short on income, our expenses will increase because I will be driving to uptown everyday instead of just twice a week, and the kids will be in full time summer school, Monday-Friday. We know that we will be provided for and are working on a "faith budget" right now. Prayers are welcomed...more for peace of mind than for cash...but hey.. .I won't turn down cash, either!

I am excited and nervous and worried about juggling everything but I figure, heck... I handled 36 hours of REALLY hard labor and delivered two babies with NO DRUGS... I can handle six weeks of chaos! Andy will really have to step up and do grocery shopping, laundry, and all of that other "stuff". He helps with it all now, but he will be the "man" in charge!

I worked on the calendar tonight, filling in every one's schedule of classes, workshops, school, swim lessons, sports camp and a couple of weekend camping trips and feel overwhelmed. I know that I just have to focus on what comes next and no further. Our minister tells us, "You can drive down the highway at night and your headlights only show you the next 200 feet in front of you, and that is all you need to see. You keep driving, having faith that the next 200 feet will be illuminated for you. Heck, you can drive yourself from California to New York by only seeing the next 200 feet!" I am off, headed for New York... 200 feet at a time!

3 comments:

CapturedbyTammy said...

Congrats on being accepted into school and on the wait loss. You go girl! Everything else you have to do will fall into place. You can do it!

Gina said...

Congrats on returning to Whittier! That will be great.
Love the 200 feet scenario--I'll have to remember that one! :-)

Rebecca said...

You can do it, you do everything else...so you know you can do this too!

I'm going to email you about July and see if there is a time we can fit in to see you amongst all your chaos. Probably better to plug in some time now before you're all booked up! :)