Welcome!

Monday, January 14, 2008

Catching Up

It always seems that I am "catching up" and never, ever, on top of ANYTHING! Two steps behind, chronically! We celebrated Ella's birthday and I went MIA with my mom on Saturday! We took Ella to get her pictures taken and then Andy took the kids home while my Mom and I waited for the pics to be ready so that we could spend a small fortune on GREAT and ADORABLE shots of Ella. Next, we shopped in Penny's where my Mom bought some clothes for Ella, on to Jamba Juice and into Target! My mom was in a generous mood and bought a couple of really cute outfits for Ella, a shirt for me and one for Gavin too! I picked up some stuff for the birthday party and by the time we were done, it was almost 2:00 p.m.! I called Andy and he said, "Why stop now, just go to lunch!". I think that he was being a little bit sarcastic, but we took him up on it! Lunch at Mimi's was wonderful and it was great to spend some quality time with my mom! We haven't hung out together in a while and realized that we have really missed it!

When we got back to my house, my mom discovered one of my "dirty little secrets". A rat's nest of projects and papers that I have been accumulating in a low shelf of a cupboard...she asked what it was and I told her it was "stuff" that I needed to "get to" but that had no real priority. She suggested that we tackle it and in about an hour and a half, we had my whole pile gone. All of the papers were filed in their proper folders, recipes back in the box, assorted craft items put away in the craft cupboard, addresses updated in the book and a small project for Gavin's room completed. Wow did that make me feel GREAT!
But I still did not work on Ella's birthday party, or make my menu or my grocery list or any of the things that I was "supposed" to get done on Saturday. Sunday was spent playing catch up on all that HAD to get done over the weekend and I started out the week, behind. Behind on my laundry, behind on my chores, behind on my projects, behind on my blogging (I have a list of possible entries and ideas) and behind on sleep. All of that made me feel like just SITTING on my BEHIND!

I have had a busy day with picking up, organizing, shopping, laundry, cooking and playing referee to my kids. They have watched more t.v. than usual, Andy is working late and Ella is sick. I am trying to clean up the kitchen so that Andy doesn't have to do that when he gets home, but the computer called my name. I should go and finish that project, so that I am not behind on that too. Back to my game of catch up, I guess I shouldn't complain because if it were all done, I would have nothing to do. NOTHING TO DO??? I can't imagine what that would look like, but it might be time to just lie down and die if we got there!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love shopping trips with my mom too. Well, sounds like you caught up on some things and still need to work on others. Better than sitting on your "behind"...I loved that line by the way!

Gina said...

Sounds like a fun & wonderfully busy day! I agree, we are always trying to catch up on something, but better that than being bored! I have a stack of photos to file--I'm close to a year behind! I've never fallen so behind with photos, but with the move & the birth & adjusting to life here, that's one thing that definitely been laggin' I feel you girl! Here's hoping the party goes well. :-)

Micaela said...

I know what you mean. I was contemplating the same thing this weekend, looking around and realizing that I don't think I've ever felt "caught up" on anything. I keep imagining that if I just finish this one thing (whatever it may be) then I'll be done with it. But it always seems to me that something else comes up right behind it. My goal is to worry less about catching up and focus more on the here and now and enjoying what's right in front of me. But wait, I haven't been paying enough attention to that, so maybe I'm already behind on that goal too. :)

Unknown said...

you are too funny! i loved hearing about your fun spontaneous shopping and pile-obliterating day! can't wait to see those ella pics!