Welcome!

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Now What?

The week went really well! I felt rejuvenated and renewed even though my gut has been acting up (the last remnants of the stress ended up there). I got a lot done and Andy and I are getting along and working together as a team. (Yeah!) I made my way through some paperwork and did some homework and rested and worked and spent time with the kids. We had a busy weekend but spent time with family and worked on Gavin's room. (I am almost ready to post pictures.. maybe after next weekend) With the help of my mom, we even got one of the bookshelves put together! (I can't post pics of that because the drawers and baskets are not in yet!) It is frustrating that we now have ANOTHER project half finished, but I am dealing with it!

The fact that my mom came over to help leads you to the title of this post, my mom had to help put the bookcase together because..... Andy broke his hand! Last weekend he was trying to get a nail out of board and when the nail came out, his hand slipped and he punched the board! He broke his pinkie finger down by the wrist. It looked terrible and he spent an entire day at the Dr's office trying to get it taken care of. He is not very happy about his cast, it is waterproof, but not very comfortable. Being in a cast made it near impossible to use the drill or a screwdriver, so.. he called in the troops!

Funny story about the waterproof cast...Gavin got one when he broke his elbow last summer so Andy asked for one too. The Dr. asked if he was a surfer or something and Andy replied that he was a dad. Andy explained that he needed to be able to wash dishes and bathe kids without worrying about his cast getting wet, not to mention the convenience of bathing himself without bagging his arm. The Dr. seemed very confused about this and told Andy that it was a very unusual reason for getting a waterproof cast and that he would have to confer with some other Dr.'s about this. The Dr.s convened and they all agreed that this was not the usual reason and that they were not sure that Andy's reasons warranted the special cast. Finally after much deliberation and coaxing from Andy, they gave in and gave him the waterproof cast that he had requested. Apparently, surfing is a loftier reason than dad duties. I wonder if they would have questioned it that much if it was a woman who had mom duties? I told Andy that he should have just said, "Yeah, surfing.. that's it!" and been done with it!

I was able to take some time out this morning and join a few of the wonderful and amazing "Moms" in my life for coffee, conversation and a great speaker who talked about ways to strengthen your marriage. It felt like he was talking to ME! I really needed to hear his words and I am thankful that I made it to this meeting. (of course I had a hundred excuses of why I couldn't go, glad that I didn't fall for my own tricks). I really need to get to my homework and then head off to the gym (of course there will be laundry to fold in there too) so... I am off...

Hopefully we can finish up some projects and I can take pictures for you all to see all of the work that has been going on here... until then...

3 comments:

Gina said...

Sounds like things are coming along nicely for you all and at a calmer pace. :-) Glad the drs allowed a waterproof cast--to think that surfing out weighs being a dad!

Nicole Homel said...

I never cease to be amazed by the medical community. Tell Andy that accupuncture (if you are into it) can really help the speed of healing on a break like that.
Can't wait to see more pix of the house!

Unknown said...

Poor Andy! Well, that should slow y'all down a bit. (It seems to happen one way or another, doesn't it?) :)