Welcome!

Monday, July 28, 2008

Accidents Happen

This is my last week of school. Last weekend was really rough, I put in three solid days of work, sitting at the computer for about 14 hours each day. My projects are almost done...

But this post is not about me and school... it is about Gavin.

He broke his arm today, his elbow to be more specific. I could go and grab his paperwork and tell you the exact bone, but I'm not going to. I was in class and Andy got a phone call from the school. He took Gavin to the hospital and my mom took Ella to swimming and I knew NOTHING about it. My phone was on silent mode, because I was in class. I had a lunch meeting for a group project, so I didn't even check my messages. When my day was finished, I went to call Andy and found a text message that said that they were at the hospital. They were home by that time, so I raced there feeling horrible, that my poor baby boy had broken his arm and I wasn't there, and I hadn't even known it had happened.


He ran to get a big cuddle hug from me when I got home and he told me all about his "adventure". He was playing tag and fell off of the climbing structure at day camp, he landed on his arm and it was his elbow that hit the ground first. He said that it felt like someone had shot him in the arm (?? I don't think that he really knows what THAT would feel like.. but...) He said that it hurt pretty bad and that he couldn't move it. That is when the school called Andy who told me that there was a huge, ugly goose egg on his arm and he made the decision to go to urgent care.


His arm was very swollen and Gavin couldn't move his arm well enough for them to get a good x-ray, but they could see a break. They put a splint on it and hooked him up in a sling. He has to go back on Tuesday for another x-ray and they will most likely put a cast on it then. I am so bummed for him!! He doesn't realize it yet, but he is gonna hate this thing. He is supposed to go to a swim party on Saturday and we are getting ready to have our vacation! We were going to swim, have backyard water play, head to the beach and go to a local water park. We will definitely have to reconsider! Fortunately, he is in very little pain and seems very nonchalant about the whole thing. We are thankful that he wasn't hurt any worse. My baby has now been fully initiated into boyhood.

7 comments:

Nicole Homel said...

Yvonne-
I am so dreading that moment!
Thurston is a thrill seeker at that, and I know it is coming in the next 4 years...arghhh!!!
Hope Gavin mends really quickly!
Love-
Nicole

Nicole Homel said...

Yvonne-
I am so dreading that moment!
Thurston is a thrill seeker at that, and I know it is coming in the next 4 years...arghhh!!!
Hope Gavin mends really quickly!
Love-
Nicole

Rebecca said...

Oh no! Poor Gavin. It's going to be a bummer that it's right in the middle of the summer and he won't be able to swim anymore. Don't those casts have to stay on for weeks and weeks?

Gina said...

What an "adventure"! So glad he's taking it well. Let's hope he takes a cast as well...those things are so limiting! Hopefully it won't dampen your vacation too much. Happy healing to Gavin!

Marie S said...

Bummer...poor Gavin. Kids heal quickly, I hope that is the case with this break. What color cast does he want? Be sure to discuss it! Also, I have a plastic bag thingie designed for bathing with a cast on. I will drop it by (if I remember. LOL)
--Marie

Andrea said...

Oh Gavin!!!! In the middle of summer too! At least he wasn't in much pain.

Yvonne said...

Thanks for you thoughts everyone! Yes, the cast will be on for a couple of weeks. He is in a solid splint right now and it is just about the same as a cast. His arm is bent and he can't move it. He is still at Science Acadamy and they are keeping him busy. Today he says his arm is itchy. Thanks Marie.. that would be helpful and we will be sure to get color clearace from G before moving forward... good point!