Welcome!

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Academia

AHHHHH my brain hurts! My neck is stiff and my shoulders have migrated up to my ears. I am on the last day of my 2nd week...only 4 more to go...and enough work to fill up 3 months!

This week, I started my field work which showed me what working full time might be like! I had to be TOTALLY ready for the day (dressed, jewelry and makeup) and get the kids out of the house, dropped off at Gramma and Grampa's house and be at the school by 8 a.m. I made it! The kids were not dressed or fed.. but they did that with Gma and Gpa... It was exhausting beingn in the classroom for 4 hours. I worked with a boy who was having some SERIOUS behavior issues and he has already been asked to leave the summer program. I worked with several students today and the teacher complimented me, saying that I was a "natural". That felt really good!

Last weekend was rough, I worked all day on Saturday and missed going to church with my family on Sunday to take advantage of the quiet so that I could work for 3 hours. Andy and I went head to head over some issues, but now that the pressure has been released, we seem to be working together much better. I am letting go of the house stuff more and more and trusting him to take care of what needs to be done. This is harder than it may seem!

This week I have been tired and overwhelmed with information that has no place in my brain yet. Today, I am taking advantage of some morning hours to work on projects for next week. (oh, and blogging too) I am at the library and have been doing some research on line. I have a lesson to write, some reading to do and journals to compile from my fieldwork.

This weekend, we are making our traditional trek to Chula Vista to my favorite relaxation spot on the marina. We will camp, and relax and eat and visit with friends. We will swim and play and have a great time together. I wish that I did not have so much work to bring with me, but I will look back on this summer and know how much I accomplished. Besides, working in the sun, with an ocean breeze and a fruity drink in my hand doesn't really sound so bad!

Happy 4th of July... celebrate gleefully... we are so blessed to live here, with the freedoms that we have... remember and appreciate... I know that I will!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Studying by the beach doesn't sound too bad. :-) Enjoy your weekend, and be happy you and Andy worked out those role negotiations. Marriage contracts--often need revision. :-)

Rae Rice said...

The last time I studied by the beach I got burned to a crisp! Hang in the Yvonne. Managing school and a family is difficult. YOu and Andy have a really strong foundation and will perservere your ELL classes (lol)!