Welcome!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!

We had a wonderful weekend in the mountains and got to play in the snow! We went with the YMCA for Family Camp at Arbolado. The camp is in Angelus Oaks, about halfway up the mountain to Big Bear. The kids had a blast as did the grownups, although this Mommy was really worn out and very tired. I did not sleep very well in a dorm style cabin in a bunk bed with my hubby above me and the kids beside me. Not to mention that our roommate Afton and her granddaughter Kalin were in there too. I was cold and missed my bed and every little noise that someone made (which were many, varied and for most of the night) woke me up. But aside from that ... it was really great!

We drove up on Friday night and were delighted to see SNOW! It was late and dark and by the time we got the car unpacked and everyone settled into bed it was already 11:00 p.m.! Up bright and early and off to the dinning hall for breakfast followed by a chapel service. Then we had free time to PLAY! The kids explored the snow and used our discs to slide down some hills! I thought that Andy was going to break his tailbone doing some of the hills that he did. He got bruised, but not broken! After lunch, Ella and I headed to the cabin so that she could nap and I could read. The others went to another hall to do arts and crafts, play games and later, do some more sledding. After E's nap we built a snow-mouse, Angelina Ballerina to be exact... don't ask, sometimes you just do what the 3 year old wants and move on!
Dinner and campfire were later on in the evening along with ice cream sundaes! The next morning when we woke up it was SNOWING! What a treat! (I thought of you, Rebecca!) The snow came down all morning through breakfast and chapel, it was amazing! As we were packing up to head home, it turned to rain and that continued for our whole drive home.

We had a great family weekend and cherish all of that together time. It also got us in the mood for more "getting away". As the weather warms, we will be doing some camping and can't wait!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yep, I'm still the one who hasn't seen snow fall...my kids either. I never got anything in return in inquiry about that cabin for next January. Haven't had time to look into anything further. Wish we could have been with you guys, but those cabins look like no fun at all!

CapturedbyTammy said...

How fun! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time. Loved the pics!

Yvonne said...

The cabin is just very basic and a place to lay your head, you don't "hang out" in there AT ALL. You are in the other halls and outside. Keep trying on that cabin!

Gina said...

Though I agree with Rebecca--those cabins aren't prime--the experience overall seems great! Sounds like you all had a wonderful weekend. The snow play is one thing I miss about OR. Haven't played in the snow here, yet. We had hoped to go by now, but John's schedule changed. Wonderful picture of Andy & Ella nose to nose. :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun time. It is hard to sleep anywhere that isn't your own bed, but that sounds like it was a very hard night for you!
That is quite a treat that it started snowing while you were there.

Phillips Family said...

Oh my goodness...it's Yvonne. Yay for Gina and her ability to keep track of everyone. I see that you are doing well, and your children are BEEEEAUTIFUL!!! What a great way to keep in touch...here's our link: phillipsfamily1998.blogspot


Mia