Welcome!

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I love the city!

I had a previous post with the same name a while back when we went bowling. I have been at it again, enjoying all that L.A. has to offer! I think that everytime we do something that reminds me of why I live here and why I love it, I will post with this title.

So, why do I love the city now? Well, we went downtown to see the Golden Dragon Parade for Chinese New Year. The kids have a picture book about the holiday and we made a fish kite during the week so that they would know more about it. Gavin remembered the book from last year and could even say "Gung Hay Fat Choy"... "Happy New Year"! We asked Andy's parents to join us and we loaded up into the van and headed down. There was traffic and it was a tad confusing to navigate with closed streets and an unfamiliarity with the city, but Andy did a great job, found us a close parking spot for a good price and we were off! We got to the parade route and within a few minutes the parade began. There were lots of floats, children, groups doing marital arts and MANY, MANY dragons! We bought this big tube that had compressed air and confetti in it and when you twist it it shoots out the confetti everywhere! Yipee! We took a break for a snack in a Chinese restraunt (so Chinese, that there were NO signs in English!) and we returned to the parade in time for the big finale. Three large dragons did a dance and they lit off 22,000 firecrackers at the SAME time! During the explosions, the dragons danced and bowed down to the crackers. It was sooooooo cool! The kids loved it and so did we! Then we headed home to a Chinese dinner! I really do, love this city!


2 comments:

Andrea said...

how fun!!! I want to go next year!

Gina said...

What a trip! Sounds like a great experience.