Welcome!

Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer is on!

Last week was awesome! I got to relax, sleep in, read and hang out with the kids. We watched "Hans Christian Anderson" from when I was a kid (KTLA ran a Family Film Festival on Sundays and that movie was shown every year!) They LOVED it and I loved that they loved it! We went to the library to sign up for the Reading Programs and the kids helped me with the grocery shopping.

We painted, did crafts, played outside, and started reading "Jungle Book", Ella couldn't hang with it and Gavin is balking at it a bit, but he is sticking it out with me and I am simplifying the language a bit. I baked and cooked every single meal from scratch! (I am already missing my Dream Dinners, however!)

Last Thursday I spent the entire day in the kitchen in preparation for our weekend in Carpinteria. We had the usual hot dogs, pancakes, etc.. but what I cooked ahead were Citrus Rosemary Ribs, Country Potato Salad (with a tangy ranch dressing, roasted potatoes, garlic, red onion and corn) and a Five Bean Salad. The work was well worth it, our meal was fabulous and I didn't have to do a thing but put into serving bowls!
The photo above is the view from our campsite! We went last year and it was heaven on earth! This year was a bit chilly and cloudy, but the sun did come out enough to get my cheeks pink and allow the kids to swim in the waves. Gavin tried body surfing and went in up to his chest and Ella was brave enough to go in to her ankles alone! It was loads of fun and although I am always happy to go, I am equally as happy to come home. I spent today trying to get the laundry done and the motorhome unpacked!


Today we started our summer activities! Gavin will be at Science Academy (Broadoaks at Whittier College) all day for the next two weeks. I missed him, but he came home tired and worn out and full of stories! Ella started swimming lessons which will continue for six weeks. Gavin will join her after Science Academy is done. He will go to Sports Camp for two weeks, but it is only a morning program, so he will catch up with us and swim at the same time as Ella!

I am working and trying to get in 15 hours per week at the office and Andy is teaching Summer School so he is gone in the mornings, but gets to join us for lunch everyday! He has a long list of honey-do's to fill his afternoons! I am so glad that summer is here, but I know that it is going to just fly by! I am really striving for a balance of work and play, busy and relaxed. We will see how I do... I am new to this kick back thing, but I think I am liking it!

My old "Martha" self even made an appearance today! I felt like making cupcakes, and so.. I did! Here they are:

I wanted to have a little of the beach with us today... but... I did not want 24 cupcakes sitting around my house while I am here, so I delivered plates of cupcakes to our friends and neighbors!

Tomorrow I will have coffee with a friend, grocery shop, take Ella to swimming, and work on my Student Teaching packet that is due at the end of the month. Gavin is having a friend over and I am going to read a magazine. See.. busy, but balanced! I think get it.... maybe....

2 comments:

Gina said...

Camping looks great and the food sounds really good. We're supposed to go camping in Sept. We'll see how we hang with baby. It may turn out that just John and the boys go...

Andrea said...

It sounds like you had a good camping trip. It really looks beautiful. I love those cupcakes. Very impressive!