Welcome!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Kitchen

The kitchen... ah... the kitchen....

Andy has been working ALL week and it is not done! It was a big job and he did not do it in the most organized way. That is not a criticizm...hey... I am so grateful that he has been working so hard on it! I am just tired of not knowing where my forks are! Besides, I am really scared that it is going to drag on forever now that he is going back to work!

Poor guy did not get a single day off during his Spring Break to play! He got to go out to dinner and coach a baseball game today, but other than that, he has been in the kitchen! The doors need one more coat of paint each and then they all need to be hung and the handles put on. The bar did not even get started, but we hope to work on that a little bit each night next week.

Of course, it is like "When you give a mouse a cookie..." Now that we have painted the cabinets, we don't like the wall color and we are thinking that we need new cushions for the benches at the table and of course new curtains. If we do that we will need new curtains and pillows in the family room, and we want to take out the panneling and paint and of course the cushions on the window seat would need to be re-apholstered.... oh, and I really want a new desk and we found a great new couch that would look better with the room layout!

Whew... we took a step back from all of that and decided to go forward with re-doing the floor into the kitchen, laundry room and our bathroom (all connected) and then... we will see what we can do next....
I wrote that last night and today, after church Andy put another coat of paint on the cupboard doors...some need one more coat. Next we started hanging cupboard doors, only to discover that the hinges added 1/16th of an inch to each side of the door and they would not close. Andy has spent most of the day cutting out a groove in the side of the cabinet so that the doors will hang right. Unexpected problems with house projects...I sure do wish that we could pay someone to do this stuff for us, but then we would miss all of this "adventure"... yes, you do note a hint of sarcasm there.
Andy just told me that I have to take everything out of the spice cabinet that I spent 2 hours cleaning out and re-arranging last night. I told him to hang plastic and be careful not to get dust in there... that seems to be working. We did get the handles on the drawers, well, not before putting one very off center, but really - nobody will notice.... He is working away and I have been trying to pay bills and entertain our poor neglected children.
Ella is so tired that she put on her pajamas on at around 3:00 and announced that she was going to bed...I wanted to join her...she didn't of course, but I guess she cut out one job for me tonight! We are going to my in-laws house for dinner...thank goodness, because I can't cook in the mess! Maybe tomorrow I will be able to post that the kitchen is all done and put back together! I will hope.....
I apologize too, if this a massive wall of text, but I have fixed it 5 times and blogger just keeps leaving out my spaces... ugh....

1 comment:

Gina said...

What a job! It'll be great to see it done, and to see how many cookies the mouse got. :-)