Welcome!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

On the couch

There is nothing like an injury to mess up your plans! I began this week full of hopes and plans to get many a task accomplished. I made lists, I made lunches, I headed out to school with Gavin, the bike trailer-stroller, and the dog. I was going to volunteer at the bookfair, I was going to the market, I was going to blog and catch up on some paperwork (I think that I should stop saying "catch up" on paperwork...you never, never catch up...you just keep working). On the way back from dropping Gavin off at school, we met another dog and Sadie is not really dog savvy as of yet. She jumps and goes, well... crazy! We parted ways, but Sadie had other plans, she decided to give me one big tug to try to catch up with the other pup and I got my foot between the grass and the curb and CRUNCH, went my ankle. Searing pain brought me to my bum, cursing. I was not sure how hurt I was, but I knew that it was not good. The dog realized that she had made a bad move and cowered next to me. Ella shyly asked if I was o.k. After a few minutes, I realized that I would have to walk the 5 blocks home and as I got to my feet, I began to cry. It REALLY hurt and it hurt in my knee and my hip...."Oh, God!", I thought, "How bad DID I hurt myself?" As I was limping home, a fellow mom stopped her SUV and asked if I needed help, the dam burst and I began to bawl. I believe that I sounded much like a Kindergartener when I said, sobbing, "I FELL!!". She loaded up my stroller, and my kid, me and my dog and drove me home. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to my Angel!

I put on the ice, and the ace bandage and took a fistfull of Advil. I stayed off of it all day and it quickly shrunk from the golf ball sized swelling, to about the size of a bouncy rubber ball. I could not sit at the computer, I could not go to the store, so.... I watched Oprah, and Ace of Cakes, and 20/20 and made lunch, and baked muffins (oops, on my feet too long... )

It is much better today, but it still hurts, especially if I move it the wrong way. But I do not think that we will need to amputate. I am off to ice it some more, before I go to bed.

I should have tried harder to enjoy my "day off", but... gee.... that wasn't really what I had in mind!

5 comments:

CapturedbyTammy said...

Ouch Yvonne! Are you sure you're ok? Thankgoodness someone came to your rescue. That wouldve been a long 5 blocks! Hope you feel better soon!
Tammy

Rebecca said...

Oh no...sounds like a bad start to a day off. I twisted my ankle once trying to grab one of my boys last year...can't remember which one, but I was pregnant and couldn't walk. I had to crawl around the house, at least I was at home rather than 5 blocks down the street! YIKES! Dogs are just like kids, do stuff you don't want them to and cause chaos just like the rest of them. See, we both have three kids!

Unknown said...

oh no!!! I can relate - since my dog broke my finger in her puppyhood. I hope you are recovering and have enjoyed a little FORCED rest. love you

Yvonne said...

I AM o.k. in fact, it is much better today and I am only wearing the brace to remind myself to take it easy! Yeah... I have 3 kids, but can you put a "bite" collar on any of yours...hee hee hee

Rebecca said...

Nope, I haven't used a bite collar...but thank goodness none have them have been biters!