Welcome!

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Blog Name Change

Yipeeeeeeee! We made it through the first full week of school. THIS week, I fully understood the meaning of "hump day". I awoke Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m. and turned to Andy and said, "Isn't it Friday yet?". It has been a bit of a struggle to get back into the swing of things! I can tell that school is back in, by the amount of blog entries on the other "mommy" sites... they are few and far between. (Hey, that means that you all have more time to read my rambling).

I have gotta lotta stuff to talk about, and I am not sure if I can channel it all well enough to get it in here... but... here goes... I'll try to focus. I guess I will write today, about the new name of my blog.

I have been obsessing again... this time, about the name of my blog... I never really liked, "Huffaker Family" since it is really MY blog, about me and my "stuff"... I mean, obviously my family is in it.... but I have seriously been lying awake at night, trying to figure out a better title. "Because I said so" is already taken and so is "You are not the boss of me".... I pondered "Get your toe out of her nose", but that would take a great deal of explanation. In my post that I wrote before I left for my vacation, I mentioned adventure and alluded to the fact that sometimes, this job is not "glamorous" or "romantic", but it is an adventure none the less. I have been reading about Andy's cousin who is riding a bike across the U.S. and I also have a friend who just returned from India where she did some amazing volunteer work. Some of my family just returned from Europe, and some are heading off to Paris in a few weeks. I sometimes feel like I am left behind, like I have left a part of myself behind. The part that used to do stuff like that and who used to have the time and the freedom to travel (if not always the money). I just got an email that compared raising a family to building a temple and that the work is done slowly and it takes a LONG time to see your results, and all of that together, has led to my new title. My journey has been mostly uphill, and I carry a heavy load. I frequently feel as if I cannot take it, I want to quit, put down my pack and head back down the mountain to a day spa and call it "done". The altitude gets to me and I feel lightheaded, out of breath and frankly, sick to my stomach. But I know, that I will reach the summit. I will keep on trekking and sometimes I will have a skilled Sherpa by my side to help me carry my pack and lead the way, and sometimes I will go it alone. Sometimes the maps are good and the way is made clear, and other times, the road is rough, the path is hidden and the overgrowth is impenetrable. I will keep trekking. I will reach the summit. I will see my kids off to school, I will see them graduate from school, I will watch them grow and mature and I will stand on the highest peak and look into the blazing fire of their future and I will smile and I will laugh and feel the pride of having gotten here. I will sit at the top for a while and rest, and then I will begin the next journey, to climb the next peak... that one will most likely be one of self discovery (or self RE-discovery). This is an adventure for sure, one full of struggle, accomplishment, doubt, certainty, fear. love, joy, sorrow, tears, laughter, good days and bad. It is not easy and sometimes, not even enjoyable and then, some days are the best I have ever had and better than I had ever imagined coul be. I will keep trekking, I will keep climbing, sometimes, I may just sit and rest. Thanks for joining me on my journey.

No comments: