Welcome!

Monday, December 3, 2007

Icky Sicky

Well, Ella has officially entered full childhood. She had her first episode of the "Barfing Flu" as it is "affectionately" named here at the Huffaker household. I had my suspicions that she would be sick, she didn't eat dinner last night and complained that her stomach hurt before going to bed. I warned Andy, since she goes to him in the middle of the night...but alas he did not heed my advice and when she stumbled into our room at 2 a.m. he hesitated. His seconds wasted caused quite a mess and ended with him changing and washing our sheets and bedskirt along with a good moping of the floor and rinsing of pj's. I take care of the human aspect when we have sick kids...I feel so bad for them that I don't get quite as grossed out. I helped Ella out of her pj's and into a tub to wash her hair. Once we got her settled down and I cuddled with her and put her back to sleep, I reminded him that there would most likely be a second episode. He grunted and went to sleep. At 3 a.m. he heard her in the hall and rushed her into the bathroom. Good, I thought! I told him to be sure to direct her to the toilet and hold her hair, I knew that he was not listening and realized as I was dragging myself out of bed that he was sitting in there, with her on his lap. Andy learned fathering lesson number 643 last night : Never hold a potentially barfing kid on your lap. You guessed it, she lost it - all over him! I helped her while he got himself changed and then settled her back to bed. Needless to say, we are all three exhasted today but Ella is doing well, she has had some Gatorade and a sip or two of soup. After the soup, she told me, "Mommy, my tummy doesn't NEED lunch". We left it at that. She still has a high fever and is moping around, but keeping liquids down. Hallelujah!

I was going to blog about my Christmas decorating.. but...this was the more pressing and present issue. Perhaps, tomorrow, since Ella will not be able to go to school and I will not be able to go to work!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ugh, sorry. I hope we didn't pass it to you guys. That's what we decided Noah was dealing with Thanksgiving weekend as Matt and I both felt sick on Monday going home. But, it's been 8 days since we've seen you. Madelyn threw up on Matt on Tuesday night. We thought she had the flu too. Then she threw up all over me on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and today again! Once each day for four days. I think she's teething and dealing with nausea from the excess saliva, she gags at the drop of a hat. But, yeah...I got creamed 4 days in a row. Tell Andy I know his pain!

Gina said...

Oh man! Poor Andy! And poor Ella--the first flu is always so awful! I sure hope she is fully recovered soon and that you all get some much needed catch up sleep.

Yvonne said...

Well, we thought that she was through the worst of it, but no...
she is not being able to hold ANYTHING down now and I am worried about her getting dehydrated!

Yvonne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

My kids always do well with a little 7UP. The Pedialyte stuff tastes gross. They won't drink it.

Yvonne said...

Ellie doesn't like bubbles, and she has now thrown up enough gatorade that she won't drink that either. We got a popsicle in her, and some jello, and some mashed potatoes (made w/ chicken broth) and lots of water and this a.m. some toast, I think she is feeling much better!