Welcome!

Friday, August 17, 2007

Summer Vacation


The family vacation. A summer tradition. We ALWAYS took one when I was a kid. 2 weeks in the "wilderness", together. We never went in an airplane, or a train... just our family Suburban pulling the trailer. My memories of these trips are the best and strongest memories of my childhood. In the above photo, I would guess that these "hippie kids" ages are Me: 9, Carel: 6, Allen: 2. The year would have been 1977 and we were out on a hike. I could write a post for hours on the memories, but... I do not have time, we are packing and preparing for my family vacation with my own kids. I hope that I am helping them to build a stong bond with each other and with Andy and myself. We will be gone for 2 weeks!! We are heading up the 395 Hwy to Mammoth Lake, with lots of fun along the way. I can't wait, and neither can the kids, they are jumping around like crazy kooks in anticipation of our departure at 7:00 p.m. I have to attend to them before they destroy the freshly picked up house. I will fill you in on all of the details of the trip after we get back. A fellow blogger put her vacation day by day and I may just follow suit!
The motorhome is packed (to the hilt!), Andy just went out to get a McDonald's dinner (the only restraunt food we will eat during the trip), I am off to bath the kids and then... we will hit the road. If we actually leave at 7:00, we should reach our first stop by about 10:00 p.m. Red Rock Canyon at the start of the 395. We will sleep and get up early to enjoy the desert before the heat creeps in.
I am off. It may not be a trek in the Himalayas, or a boat down the Yangtze river in China but it is an adventure. 2 weeks, 2 kids, 2 adults, 1 BIG dog in a 21 foot motorhome. Wish me luck, wish me well. Bon Voyage!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Bye - have fun! Can't wait to see the day by day travel itinerary. Take lots of photos...I don't really need to say that because I know you will! Wonder how Sadie will enjoy the riding in the motorhome? She might be more wild than the kids.

Yvonne said...

Sadie was a doll, she slept right next to Andy up front for all of the driving. She barked a bit when we left her behind, but she got the hang of it all!