Welcome!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

My latest obsession

I have a problem. I am obsessive. When I get something into my head, I can't get it out. Whether it is a song, a decision to clean a room, a project, a party or an item that I want. If I really can't have it (like a Mercedes) then I don't let it get wedged into my brain. But there is a lot rolling around in there that I feel I NEED to do, or have. My latest obsession (besides cleaning and organizing the living and family rooms) is CROCS. I have seen them on people for years and, being a Berkenstock/Clog kind of girl, I thought, "These shoes are for me!". I have watched them grow in popularity. I have seen the "fakies" come out at Wal-mart and Target. I bought some for the kids. They LOVE them. Usually, I am satisfied with my Target or Payless knock off, but this time...it's different. They are pricey, for a shoe made of rubber. $30 (plus $10 shipping if you get them online) seemed a bit steep for me. I am also a spendthrift. I don't spend a lot on clothing (especially for myself)! But I wanted them... I wanted them so bad that I would go online and look at all of the different colors and styles. I have a wishlist on Crocs.com with about 10 pair. I bought some new socks at Costco. They are low cut and came in a 10 pack of fun colors. I bought them, thinking about how great they would look with my Crocs.



I have talked about these shoes for about 6 months, and have been desiring them for over a year. Finally on Tuesday Andy said, "Hey, why don't you go online and order those. It could be your birthday present." My heart soared and sung a happy rubber shoe song of praise. Hooray, the shoes would be mine! At this point, you must understand that it is not only about the shoes, or whatever thing I have been obsessing about. It means a release. I can stop wanting and thinking and desiring. I can free myself. I went online and chose my shoes, only to have Andy decide that he too would like a pair. Great! Birthday gifts for both of us! When he saw the total, he pulled back and said, "Hmmm... I don't think that we can afford that right now." I was crushed... ugh... my feet were doomed to a life of Croc sorrow, and I to more longing and wishing and planning.



Yesterday, we took Gavin to Peace Camp and then Ella had her Read To Me Party at the library. I had heard about a new cafe in town and asked Andy he would like to go to lunch! We had a wonderful time with Ella and as the meal came to an end, I realized that we were just blocks from the mall. Blocks away from Nordstrom's. Blocks away from.... my CROCS!!! I asked shyly, "Do you think that we could go and see if they have the color that I want? We would save on shipping and handling!". I also pointed out that it was rather mean that Andy said, "Go online and get them" and after adding his own shoes decided that it was too much money. He agreed and off we went!



My Crocs were waiting for me! My size, my color. At long last, as I put these magical shoes on my feet, I felt a weight lifted from my chest. I did not have to hold on to this obsession any longer. FREEDOM. But wait... these shoes are AWESOME!!! I had never had a pair on before! I felt as if I was not wearing a shoe at all!!! No, my feet did not sweat. No, they do not feel funny. I wore them home, I wore them all night. I wore them with my socks, just to try them out. No, I did not wear them to bed. I love my shoes. I love my husband for understanding, that I don't often get to have something that is just for me, let alone something cool and name brand. I love him for accepting my obsessions and giggling along with me, at how silly I can be!



You might laugh at the boring color that I chose... out of all the fabulous colors, I chose Chocolate. I chose these, because they will look great with my SOCKS!! They match every color that I have, and with fall approaching I know that I will want to wear socks. In the spring, my plan is to get some in "celery". Glad that I can postpone that obsession for later.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Crocs are pretty cool. Kylee had a pair and wore them out! I thought it was pretty cool how they have the Croc decorations--probably just for little kids. I've never worn a pair so I'll have to take your word for how heavenly they feel. :-) Glad you said what color they were because they look silver in the photo! :-) I thought you were *really* stepping out there for a moment! :-) Enjoy your new treasure!

Rebecca said...

Everyone here in AZ wears these shoes. I figure we'll end up with a pair or two eventually. They look very comfy. Thanks for the birthday wish...I will try to relax and enjoy the weekend.