Welcome!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The End

What a scary looking title! What comes after THAT? Well, it is not the end of my blogging days, in case you were wondering... but.... it is the end of a few things for me and my family.

The end of surprise announcements, the end of baby clothes, the end of diapers and cribs and bouncy seats, the end of birth control, the end of worry every month, and the list goes on.

After about two years of debate, discussion and several scares a decision has been made. We will not be having any more babies. At least, not genetically! (I would never rule out the possibility of some amazing opportunity to have someone else's baby live with us! Even though I am not seeking it) Late in August, Andy finally had his "procedure" and in about a month he will be tested to make sure that the "coast is clear"!

Last year I was sad and still conflicted, but seriously, once the decision was made I just wanted to move on and be done with it. After it was over, I thought that I might feel sad but honestly we have been so busy, it has been the furthest thing from my mind. I am happy that we came to this decision and blessed to have a wonderful husband who took care of it and didn't leave it up to me. Getting the appointment was a challenge and took forever (he even had to take a "class" and sign all of the paper work and release forms) but the procedure itself didn't take very long at all. Fifteen minutes? We were in and out so fast our heads were spinning! A weekend of relaxing with a strategically placed ice pack and he was back on the run! The bruising looked horrible, but he said that he didn't feel too bad!

Ahhhhh I feel like I can relax in a way that I have not known for 9 years! It is very freeing and a huge relief, although it still seems strange to have closed the book on this chapter of our lives. I keep reminding myself that there are plenty of chapters yet to be written and I look forward with anticipation to what comes next. My pen is poised. Ready? Yes!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Seems like everyone we know is closing the door on thier fertility lately. I bet there is a real sense of relief in this action. John & I have talked about it several times, but I don't think either of us will be joining the ranks. :-)

Micaela said...

Congrats! I know it was a long time coming to finally reach the decision and move forward with the action steps. Enjoy the freedom and your family. :)