Welcome!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

My 100th post!

A Texas Doughnut - "the size of Gavin's head"! - at the Fair earlier in the summer

I was very surprised when I logged on today to discover that I have reached that glorified posting number of 100! I just came on to give a simple update and here I am, at 100...wondering if I should try to make it something more.

Nah.... I will still just give you the low down, but since it is my 100th, if you could please leave a comment so I know who is out there, that would make my day!

Gavin got his cast on, his incision looks good and he was able to get a red, waterproof cast. It is so cool, he can get it totally wet! We are going swimming tomorrow and to a water park next week! The cast is made with a Gortex lining and the regular fiberglass outer part... ah, technology!
We are officially on vacation! We decided way back in the spring that we would not be traveling this year. We were too worried about gas prices and I couldn't bear the thought of planning a big 2 week camping trip after the long 6 weeks in school. So.. we are very "in vogue" and doing a "Stay-cation"... who knew we would be so hip?Last week was fun and relaxing.... we had a night of Hand Shadows, we visited the local Children's Museum, hung out around the house to play with our new Wii (courtesy of my very generous brother!), cleaned out the garage (not a full clean out, just all of Andy's teaching stuff) it does look amazing now! We also had an Arts & Crafts day where we did play-dough, paint, bead work and collage! We took the kids to see "Kung Fu Panda" and had to drive an hour away, because it is not playing anywhere near us anymore! I did some scrapbooking and some napping and Gavin and I finished reading the first "Harry Potter" book and have started on the second. We went to the zoo and spent a morning bowling (we got a great coupon and got to bowl for free!). Ella is pretending to be a baby bird at the children's museum

Next week promises to hold lots of fun as well! We are going to a water park, having a board game day, visiting the Farmer's Market and relaxing by the pool. Andy and Gavin are going to head to the local arcade for some video game fun while Ella and I spend girly time at the local "paint your own pottery" shop. We also got tickets to see "Walking With Dinosaurs" and will be taking Gavin to that show. You can check it out here: http://www.dinosaurlive.com/. The other exciting thing that we are doing is that we got tickets to see the "Noah's Ark" exhibit at the Skirball Cultural Center. We have been talking about doing this for some time so we are looking forward to that.

Next weekend is pretty open and we haven't really figured out what we will do, but Water Olympics and a Neighborhood Movie Night are in the works. Monday, the 25th, Gavin will get his cast off and during that week Andy will be setting up his new classroom (he is moving to Jr. High!!) I will have to register for classes and go to work a couple of days, but then we are headed to San Diego for the holiday weekend. We might visit Lego Land, but we will certainly be hanging out by the pool and visiting the beach!

Summer seems to be slipping away, but we are really enjoying it.... Fall will be here soon and we will move into the school year, but for now... I am going to enjoy a fruity drink and some time with my family.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

There's so much to do all around you, a "staycation" is just as fun as the other kind, maybe even better! That is so great that Gavin can get the cast wet, it won't hinder his summer very much at all!

Unknown said...

Happy 100th! That is one big donut!

I really like the red cast! Lucky he can still get wet and not let it hinder his summer!

Gina said...

Very cool that they figured out how to make water proof casts. Is Andy excited about moving to JR High? What a change that will be from elementary! Enjoy the rest of your summer. :-)

Unknown said...

You're certainly making the most of your "staycation". I love it! And so glad that Gavin still gets to have fun in his cast. I would love to meet you at Legoland if you go - we have a free ticket from the library's summer reading program and I've been looking forward to taking Brady. Let me know...

Peter and Karen Wolfe said...

Wow! You are a SuperMom! It sounds like you've had a terrific time even with the drama and the trauma.