Welcome!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Carnival

For the second year in a row, Gavin's school held a carnival as the primary fund raiser for the year. For the second year in a row, it was a rousing success! There were lots of game booths, a cake walk, hot dogs, burgers, popcorn, snow cones, nachos and other goodies. In the multi-purpose room the kids could play Rock Band and Guitar Hero and there was an inflatable maze and karaoke. The pie baking contest had 15 pie entries and 4 judges. The tasting went well and we sold all remaining slices for $1 a piece. I learned what will make it better (and easier) for next year and even thought I did not win a ribbon...I must say my pie crust ROCKED. My filling choice could have been better, but "live and learn". I baked a "Fireside Fruit Pie" and the filling was apples, apricots and dates. It was "good" but not "special". The homemade crust came out perfect, so I will keep that and try a new filling next year! I also made a chocolate pie that got high marks, but my pre-made crust lowered my overall score...I worked hard at the booth all day and the kids played hard with Dad, Gramma and Grampa. There were lots of people there and everyone had a blast! Gavin ran around and LOVED his independence. With a pocket full of tickets, he was free to do whatever he liked. He went through the maze and played the drums in Rock Band (quite a few times), he ate a snow cone and got himself a hot dog. He did the cake walk and won a beautiful cake that we all shared at Sunday night dinner. Ella was clingy, but played games, ate popcorn and found out that snow cones are "weally, weally cold!" Andy ate pie, played games and hung out with Ella and at the end of the day, we were all exhausted! After that, I drove out to a friends house to hang out, meet her new foster children (an 8 month old baby girl and a cutie 2 year old boy!) and we did a little (very little) scrapbooking.
The rest of the weekend was spent catching up, cleaning up, and straightening up. After all of that "up", we relaxed and had some "down" time with Andy's parents. Another weekend over, and another week has begun....I hate to say it, but I can't wait until Winter Break! I am TIRED!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Is that chocolate cake the ONE you call Aunt Jeanette's? I bought stuff to make that the other day, it just sounded good and I haven't made it since you gave me the recipe. Now I need pie! I'll have to make it tomorrow.

Gina said...

Sounds like great fun--and a lot of work. Why am I surprised that you baked two pies? :-) I miss your Martha Stewart touch. :-)

Andrea said...

I think that is a great fundraiser. I am tired of selling cookie dough!

Yvonne said...

Yeah.. that is my Aunt Jeannette's pie!!!! It is wickedly good and I make it every Thanksgiving! Enjoy it!

Yvonne said...

Oh... I have drifted ever further from my Martha like ways... but I do a bit here and there...
She would not be impressed with the cleanliness of my home.. and you would be surprised at the clutter (I am!) But I bake and decorate and make costumes.. so...

Michal said...

that pie crust looked fabulous. great job. i've been in the mood to bake pies lately, but we've had too much other junk around in the form of birthday cake, halloween candy, cookies . . . . i need to get rid of it all and bake a couple of apple pies. then my life will be complete!:)
looks like a great fundraiser.